Senior Duo Commits to Play College Volleyball

Lehr, Williams continue family tradition of collegiate sports

Christina Harris

Seniors Brooke Lehr and Kamryn Williams stand ready to play defense. Both players are committed to play collegiate volleyball after graduation.

Claire Nelson, Editor in Chief

The Elite 8. Two senior college commits. 

Everything the Wall Lady Hawks need to dominate both sides of the net. 

Seniors Brooke Lehr and Kamryn Williams added new responsibility to their volleyball season this summer after Lehr received an offer from West Texas College and Williams committed to Angelo State University. 

“Since we are more focused on the sport that we are going to play in college, it influences the team since we are both going further after high school.” Lehr said. “It makes us want to go further in playoffs versus if we weren’t playing later, then our next step would be work-permit or another sport.”

Besides volleyball, Williams participates in both the basketball and track program, but her focus on volleyball drives her to display leadership this season. 

“Playing all three sports in high school, I liked them all, I loved them all, I’m pretty okay at them all, but volleyball just had a certain place in my heart, and it feels great,” Williams said. “I feel like our commitments put a bigger weight or more pressure because people are expecting more out of our team.”

Lehr and Williams’s accomplishments speak for themselves in the form of the team’s confidence level, according to head volleyball coach Robyn Jones. 

“Every girl on our varsity now believes that she can go do what our seniors are doing,” Jones said. “Our seniors have started from the bottom, and they have worked so hard to play at the level that they are going to need to play college ball.”

Over the last two years, both Lehr and Williams had a sibling graduate and go on to play sports at the collegiate level. Sam Lehr (class of 2022) plays golf for Oklahoma Baptist University, and Tate Williams (class of 2021) plays football for Baylor University. 

“It’s an exciting experience for sure,” Kristi Williams said. “On the other side of that, the world of college sports is much bigger as far as athletes having a lot more to manage. Essentially, even though they walk into it at 18, they are viewed as adults in some aspects, making it a bit nerve-racking as a parent. Nonetheless, their dad and I are super proud of all their accomplishments, and we are excited for Kamryn.”

Both senior parents said that Lehr and Williams’s accomplishments resulted from their passion for volleyball.

“I feel very privileged that they are both able to play the sport that they love, hopefully for the next four years,” Tonya Lehr said. “Brooke is wonderful about practicing all the time, but I have always told her that if she is not having fun, she doesn’t need to stick with it. But she has always loved volleyball. Hopefully she can go to junior college and get the experience she is looking for.”

Lehr and Williams are the first senior duo to commit in Wall’s volleyball history. Landry Oliver (class of 2018) also committed to Western Texas College for volleyball.

“Our other girls just believe now,” Jones said. “And that has done wonders for our team.”