One Act Play Advances to Area

Seniors make successful run in their final performance

Real-life siblings sophomore Owen Ripple and senior Hannah Ripple play siblings on stage as well in the year’s one act play.

Claire Nelson, Editor in Chief

“The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane,” this year’s one act play, advanced in zone, district, bi-district and now area. One act students will compete at Clyde High School on Saturday for the chance to advance to the regional contest. 

Our district is really tough,” one act coordinator Cody Watts said. “A lot of people don’t realize that. Last year, Ballinger High School was the state runner-up in 3A for one act play. Jim Ned and Clyde are always really competitive. We just hope the judges like our show and see what we bring that’s unique.”

Freshman Cooper Brown, who plays Bull, pets Dallas, who plays Lucy, during the public dress rehearsal of this year’s one act play.

The play features different elements the group has never attempted before, such as live music and even a real dog in the show.

“A lot of people are playing guitar, harmonica, a little violin here and there, and singing,” Watts said. “We have a dog, Dallas, who is a character in the play. This is a really talented group of kids.”

Senior lead Dietrich Jost was awarded Top performer at both the zone contest and the bi-district contest and said his experience with one act has been worth his four years of participation.

“Personally, it’s one of my favorite plays because I get to have more movement and actions to do with being the lead,” Jost said. “When I heard my name called out for the award, I freaked out, and I got up there and cried because it was a big deal to me.”

Accounting teacher Missey Dacy, who’s classroom is across the hall from one act practice, was impressed with the show.

“I feel like it was just yesterday that they were trying to decide what play to do,” Dacy said. “Then they decided, and I just can’t believe how much progress they made in that time. It was just great, they did a great job.”

Senior Ally Nelson said she would encourage incoming students to join one act to get more involved.

Senior Peyton Creque plays guitar and harmonica simultaneously in his role as the narrator.

“You learn how to communicate with others more,” Nelson said. “You don’t even have to act. You can be behind stage doing the crew jobs. It’s such an incredible experience, and we want people to feel the joy we do putting it on stage.”