PALS Program Sees Changes

Class remains popular with elementary and high school students

Madison Taylor, Staff Writer

The Wall High School PALS program has undergone a few changes this year, but continues to impact both the high school and elementary campuses.

The class now has two sponsors — Sarah Henry, who also teaches journalism and is the Wall Hawk Media sponsor, and Cody Watts, who teaches debate and theatre and also directs the school’s One Act Play company. Former math teacher and cheerleading sponsor Shelly Sanford sponsored the organization prior to her retirement last year.

Watts said there have been positive benefits with the shift of having one sponsor to two.

“It has been different in the fact that there are two sponsors,” she said. “Mrs. Henry and I both teach it together, so it has been fun to bounce ideas off of each other.”

The PALS students also no longer teach a specific curriculum to the elementary students so they are able to use their time on other subjects that teachers request.

“We are not doing the PYPM curriculum this year, but, honestly, I like it much better, ” second-year PAL senior Macy Granzin said. “We are able to help out in areas that are more needed this year.” 

Despite the change of curriculum, the elementary students continue to cherish their time with the PALS.

“We give them lots of hugs,” kindergartener Lyla Holik said. “My PAL also helps me with tests.”

PALS members go through an application and interview process to be selected for the class, and through the program they develop a variety of skills as they mentor students and learn how to lead and serve them in the classroom.

“Being in PALS has allowed me to continue to positively impact the classroom I am assigned to, and I also benefit from it,” second-year PAL student senior Hadley Perkins said. “Being in the classroom allows me to have a great hands-on opportunity to learn.”