Hawks Rally Behind Team U.S.A.

Students, teacher support athletes at Winter Olympics

Hawks Rally Behind Team U.S.A.

Claire Nelson, Editor-in-Chief

The 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics are underway, and Wall students and staff members are in full support of U.S. athletes who are competing against others from across the globe. The games are scheduled to end Sunday, February 20. 

“What I think is special about the Olympics is that every country gets to come and participate,” fourth-grader Barret Stone said. “The U.S.A. is our home country, and I think we should cheer them on.”

Junior Kennedy King said there are similarities between the hometown athletic program and the practices of the Olympic games.

“Athletics is such a massive part of what Wall stands for,” King said. “We train the young ones starting from kindergarten to be an athlete and compete for whatever we are representing to the best of our abilities. I think that kind of pertains to the Olympics in a way.”

The six-month gap between the Beijing and Tokyo games means the Olympics have stayed at the forefront of people’s minds. 

“I think having it less than a year apart definitely sets the record books,” culinary teacher Allison Schaefer said. “It educates more people about fitness and having a healthier lifestyle.”

Students have been captivated by a variety of winter sports, including some lesser known competitions.

“Ice skating and speed skating are my favorite because in ice skating, the moves on ice are incredible,” fourth-grader Preslee Barret said. “Speed skating is so cool. If someone falls, they bring someone down. The confidence and bravery of the people who compete are amazing!”

Students agreed that the games give Americans a unique opportunity to gather together. 

“The Olympics let us root for the same thing, instead of letting other things separate us and distract us,” King said. “I think it allows us to agree on one thing that everybody can support each other for.”

Schaefer said that encouraging the athletes’ accomplishments is an endeavor that proudly represents America. 

“Patriotism is important in the Olympics since each individual American has put at least a year just for the Olympics if not their whole life,” Schaefer said. “We are cheering for those that have exceeded expectations.”