PALS Pay it Foward

High school students impact elementary classes

Junior PAL Macy Granzin reads to Mrs. White’s class.

Claire Nelson, Editor-in-Chief

Elementary students and high school students are never in the same classroom — until they are. 

The high school’s PALS program allows juniors and seniors to visit an assigned elementary classroom every other day to help students learn. Students in PALS master eight different lessons they teach throughout the year and build relationships that greatly impact their younger counterparts.

“I think our PAL’s most important job is to help kids so they can get better at learning,” fourth-grader Mitchell Hoag said. “Having him around is important because it makes us focus more.”

For elementary teachers, having the older kids come on campus lends a positive dynamic to the classroom.

“I think the kids look up to the older kids so much,” second grade teacher Nicki Self said. “The students always want to perform their best when working with the PALS.”

Feedback from both elementary students and teachers is positive. Several said the program is making a difference.

“It’s a way to help build personal relationships with people, become a leader and good role model,” PALS sponsor Shelly Sanford said. “We go over things like communication skills and listening skills. Then they go work with the elementary kids and try to apply those things.”

Junior PAL Maddie Taylor opens presents with Mrs. Schneirs’ class.

Beyond providing extra attention to the class, filling a personal connection need to younger kids is a main goal of PALS.

Senior PAL Autumn King with second-grader Charli Uherik.

“My favorite thing about our PAL is he is always funny,” fifth-grader Creed Dillard said. “He just says a lot of stuff that makes us laugh and have fun.” 

Younger students are motivated and built-up by their PALS, senior Grace Wilde, who participates in the program, said. They want to work hard when they know someone they admire is watching.

“The kids really like it whenever we come,” Wilde said. “They feel a lot more confident in their reading whenever we encourage them, and I just think they feel more confident every time we go.”