Taking the Stage

One Act places second in zone

One Act Play members pose for a group photo after award ceremony.

Claire Nelson, News Editor

This year’s One Act Play performed Little Women Saturday, February 26, at Ballinger auditorium, placing second in zone, which advanced them to district competition.  

Instead of having the contest getting cut off due to covid, Wall High School’s One Act Play progressed much farther than last year. However, the team did not advance from district but was still awarded fourth place. 

Going through last year and doing all that work but not getting to participate the day of contest, I think all of our cast and crew were just excited at the opportunity to perform publicly in front of their families and a competitive environment,” One Act Sponsor Cody Watts said. “But everyone probably felt nervous at the same time because it had been a while since we competed.”

Little Women was the play used at the competition, which according to Watts, she envisioned many students would be willing to partake in the selection. 

“It had the right makeup of male versus female roles, which I thought fit all of our students really well,” Watts said. “In a lot of ways, I feel like their own personalities were reflected into their characters.”

Senior Gabbie Turner, who played Jo, one of the major lead roles, also received top performer at Ballinger on Saturday.

I really hope they picked me because I was one of the top performers there,” Turner said. “I know that I definitely wouldn’t have gotten it if I wasn’t surrounded by a better cast. All of the girls that were onstage with me that I was able to have those relationships with really brought out the good things that probably gave me top performer.”

Turner states this year’s One Act team shares a special bond, especially when it comes to keeping alive their tradition of eating at Golden Chick after they win. 

Everyone has been really easy to make friends with,” Turner said. “I think what was special about this year was that we all got along, and we all really care about each other a lot.”